Friday 30 September 2011 11:40 AM
2012 will see the Canberra Raiders continue on with their strong community programs with a focus on rewarding our members in the community and the players being involved in even more charity, school, hospital and junior league club visits than the 205 visits made in 2011.
Raiders Reaching Out Programs
The following programs are being implemented in the local region by the Canberra Raiders in 2011:
1. Adopt a Raider program – 25 schools being visited throughout the year by Canberra Raiders top squad players. Visits include meet and greets, promotion of the Go For 2 and 5 health message through the Raiders Recess program, sports carnivals, award assemblies, healthy lunch/breakfasts and reading with the students. This program is gratefully funded by the ACT Health Promotions Grant Program in 2012.
2. Raiders Recess program – this program is delivered to thousands of students each year and will be implemented early in the throughout the school year. The program is delivered via the NRL One Community’s EAT WELL, PLAY WELL, STAY WELL DVD presentation to children followed by endorsed messages by the Canberra Raiders players and distribution of a Raiders Recess information/activity book. This activity booklet can be found in PDF format in this community section and contains the Go for 2 and 5 message, healthy recipes, activities and player eating profiles.
3. Raiding Junior League program – This program has allocated two Canberra Raiders top squad players to each of the junior clubs in 2011. The program this year is under review with a look to further expand the program to involve more players for each junior club.
Allocated players are able to visit and assist with training sessions during the season as well as providing the opportunity for the children to meet their local NRL team’s players. As part of the Raiders commitment to junior league, teams are able to play on the surface of Canberra Stadium, pre-game of an NRL match, and line the run out tunnel at Canberra Stadium for the NRL players prior to kick off as part of McDonalds Mini Footy.
All junior league players receive free entry to NRL matches through their junior passes which is funded by the Canberra Raiders
4. Tackling Indigenous Health Program – As a result of the All Stars match played in February each year, the Canberra Raiders implemented a new program in 2010 focusing on closing the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians.
This program consists of school information and skills sessions related to health issues more prevalent in the indigenous community. The program provides the kids with an information booklet containing ways of dealing with and addressing these issues. A Tackling Indigenous health day is held for Indigenous children before one of the Raiders final home games which includes skills sessions with injured players, a tour of Raiders HQ, a free ticket to the corresponding game and a Raiders gift pack.
5. Raiders Reading program – David Shillington continues on as the Raiders ‘Reading Captain’ for 2012. This involves David and the whole squad encouraging children to read and submitting his own reading information as part of the NRL’s Rugby League Reads program with Rugby League Reads magazines being distributed throughout primary school. Raiders players also engage in reading at schools under this banner.
In 2012 the Raiders will support hundreds of charitable organisations and events through the donation of products, promotion through players, community events and game day promotion/initiatives. Larger charity organisations that have been supported in the past include:
- The ACT Eden Monaro Cancer Support Group
- Junior Rugby League – including the new junior girls league comp
- The Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal
- Men of League
- ACT Cancer Council
- White Ribbon Foundation
- ACT Safety House
- The McGrath Foundation
- RSPCA/Million Paws Walk
- Transplant Australia
- The Ben Donohoe Fun Run
Hours and Events in the Community
The Raiders players have spent 580 hours in the community during the 2011 season to date. Some of these events/initiatives supported include:
- NRL Community Carnival
- Macquarie Sports Clinic
- Raiders School Holiday Camp
- McHappy Day
- Canberra Raiders CountryLink Charity Golf Day and Sports Dinner (supporting the ACT Eden Monaro Cancer Support Group)
- Road Safety Messages
- Walk Safely to School Day
- ACT Disability Sports Day
- White Ribbon Sports Challenge Launch
- Adopt a Raider school visits
- Junior League club visits
- Canberra Milk Kids school visits
- Kids in Care Christmas Party
- Fyshwick Markets BBQ
- Points for Cash Presentation to the ACT Cerebral Palsy Alliance
- Special Kids Christmas Party
- White Ribbon Day Stalls
- Australia Day Community BBQ
- Winnunga Family Day
- NAIDOC Week Celebrations
- Recycling Initiatives
- ActewAGL Royal Canberra Show
- Earth Hour Promotion
- Friends of the Spastic Centre
- Junior League Presentation Evening
- Winnunga Drug Action Week
- Club Swim Sports Heroes Week
Thank you to the community members for their support of our many community projects. Again, if you could please forward this on to your contacts it would be greatly appreciated.
If you would like any further information on any of the above then please contact the Canberra Raiders through our email email@example.com