From the Stands: Round 12
For Rugby League fans, this was definitely a week to savour.
A Raiders win (because everyone loves the Raiders, right?) and one of the greatest openings to an Origin series I can remember. Outstanding!
It’s one of those times you honestly feel we’re privileged to have found the greatest game of all.
The Raiders demolition of the Cowboys was simply brilliant and to be honest, I didn’t mind going to work on Monday. The signing of James Tedesco only made things better!
For a few weeks, I’ve copped nothing but barbs and sarcasm in the workplace, but this time it was my turn to fire back.
Sure, the Cowboys were under strength, but were they 42-12 understrength? I don’t think so.
It’s the game we needed to build a bit of confidence and get the new combinations right.
As the game went on, our right edge was looking more and more deadly, to the point I thought we could have run up 60 points against them.
Jack Wighton, Jarrod Croker and Anthony Milford all had superstar games.
And a big wrap to Mitch Cornish for a wonderful first grade debut. He was only given 15 minutes or so but he shined.
My last wrap goes to Jarrad Kennedy. For those of you who read regularly, I’m well and truly in this guy’s camp.
Here’s why. Playing in the back row, he ran for more metres than anyone in the Cowboys line up, made 31 tackles (nearly led the Raiders in that stat and only out tackled by Shaun Fensom – surprise, surprise, and Glen Buttriss), and he crossed for a meat pie of his own. Big game!
So, who’s up to challenge our momentum? None other than the latte sipping, boys of Bondi, the Sydney Roosters.
The bookies have written us off but this is a game we can definitely win. My first hot tip, bomb the ball down Tupou’s throat all night.
I’m not sure if the man thinks the high ball is a real bomb raining down on him, but he’s very uncertain under it. Campo, that’s a job for you.
Outside of that, patience is key in this one. The Roosters will expect to score and score often.
If the boys hold out long enough, the Roosters will play silly footy and bring us right into the game.
Raiders fans can also play a part in this victory. Head up early and do a little surveillance in Rooster territory. See what you can find out. Here’s a guide on how to blend in:
1. Order a ridiculous coffee, with something equally ridiculous sprinkled on it
2. After something a little heavier to drink? Be sure to order the champagne fountain
3. Order a rare food that’s not on the menu and throw a tantrum when you’re told you can’t have it. Tell the waiter to come back later once you’ve decided. A nice touch is to throw coins at him/her as they walk away. Gold coins of course!
4. Most people bring a dog to the café. This is a no, no in Rooster territory. Instead bring along a polo/equestrian horse
5. If you’re male, dress in suspenders and wear cufflinks bigger than the shirt itself. If you’re female, a hat that requires an assistant to remove is chic and a must.
6. And finally, don’t get sucked into the Rooster lifestyle. Remember that under that brilliant disguise, you have a heart that bleeds green. Cheer loud, cheer proud and let’s get the green machine home!