Late last year the Canberra Raiders appointed Dr David Headon as the clubs historian, as they look to ensure they have a detailed and comprehensive record of the Raiders history.
As part of the initial research, Dr Headon is asking Raiders fans past and present to assist in obtaining valuable information to assist in the process of putting together the history.
If you have any information which you think may be of use for the project. Please email the Canberra Raiders via firstname.lastname@example.org and we can then put you in touch with Dr Headon to see if there is interest in using the material.
Below are the types of things Dr Headon is looking for to assist in the project.
1. Documented material on the difficulties and triumphs, strategising and organising of getting the Raiders into the competition. This includes politicians and community personalities that enabled the club to enter a competition that had been Sydney-only for more than 70 years.
2. Material on the Raiders' foundation years from 1982-88 including articles, letters, posters, stories, anecdotes, general memorabilia, player profiles, items of unique historical significance, which helps provide genuine insight into the character and quality of the developing club.
3. Material on the Raiders' premiership era from 1989-94 which helps provide insight into the champion players, coaches and on-field performances of this period of glittering success (including the first Grand Final win in 1989, still acknowledged as the finest GF of the modern era).
4. Material on the Super League years in the second half of the 1990s and the impact this had on the club. Also, any insights and material from around this turbulent time in the game which is club specific.
5. Material on the past 15 years of the club during the period from 2000-15 which may provide a unique insight into some of the players and promotion of the club during this era.