You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The full wrap from round one of the Austbrokers Canberra Raiders Cup. 

Gungahlin Bulls 24: Tries - D Cooper-Shields, C McAskill, R O’Sullivan, S Opo Goals - J Scholes 4 defeated West Belconnen Warriors 12: Tries A Greenwood, C Greenwood, T Freeman-Quay

The Gungahlin Bulls defeated reigning premiers West Belconnen Warriors 24-12 in their opening round clash at Gungahlin Oval on Saturday.

Gungahlin proved to be the better side in the first half as the West Belconnen’s defence found it hard to stop them. Notable tries to Rourke O’Sullivan, Sato Ketia-Opo and Dale Cooper-Shields set the tone for the first half, giving the Bulls a 16-8 lead at the break.

The second half saw the Warriors improve slightly, however failing to hold on to the ball cost them during key opportunities to get back into the match. Aiden Greenwood scored the Warriors only try in the second half adding plenty of energy off the bench.

The Bulls grinded their way to a 12 point win and coach David Howell was pleased with their performance against the premiers.

“It's a good test for us [against the reigning premiers] to see where we're at. We had a few questions asked against [Queanbeyan] Roos in the trials and the boys really turned up today,” he said.

Queanbeyan Blues 68: Tries - J Baker, D Beath, M Cullen, M Day, F Fainifo, T Ruediger 2, B Spears, T Stevens, B Taueki 3, T Tui Goals - T Campese 7, T Ruediger defeated Belconnen United Sharks 6:  Tries - T Sione Goals - D Eason

It was raining tries at O’Connor enclosed oval on Saturday as a Terry Campese masterclass led the Queanbeyan Blues to a 62-point thrashing of the Belconnen United Sharks. 

Blues half back David Beath got the first try of the match less than two minutes into the match after a strong solo effort saw slice through the line.

It was one way traffic in the first half as Queanbeyan finished off the opening forty minutes through a Branden Taueki try giving them a 36-0 lead.

Belconnen scored their first and only points through a strong try from prop forward Tino Sione. However momentum shifted right back to Queanbeyan as they posted a further 28 points in the last 28 minutes.

Captain and coach Terry Campese showed just how threatening he can be in the halves, setting up consecutive tries, notably throwing a nice cut out pass that put Tyler Stevens into space which lead to the Blues tenth try.

The Sharks will need to improve next week as they travel to Yass facing a Magpies team fresh off a bye

Woden Valley Rams 23: Tries – M Gilmour 3, M Geiger, J Hickson Goals: R Leapai Field Goal: C Johnson defeated Goulburn Workers Bulldogs 22: Tries – C Hart, P Cooke, T Greenwood, T Hazelton Goals – C Hart, B Hewitt 2

The Woden Valley Rams got their season off to a good start, defeating the Goulburn Workers Bulldogs by one point on Sunday at Workers Arena.

Woden got the ball rolling when second row Michael Gilmour crashed over for the opening points making it 4-0.

The rams then raced to an 18-0 lead after 27 minutes when Gilmour completed his hat-trick. Goulburn eventually got some points on the board through a Thomas Hazelton try making it 18-6 at half-time.

Goulburn scored again 3 minutes after the break through a strong run from Fullback Christopher Hart. With five minutes remaining in the match Goulburn scored out wide giving and with a successful conversion, the Workers Bulldogs made it 22 points all.

Woden’s halfback Carl Johnson kicked the winning field goal giving the Rams the win on the road.

Queanbeyan Kangaroos 32: Tries – B Crisp 2, M Connolly, T Aroha-Tuinauvai, J Simbiken, J Essex Goals – B Crisp 4 defeated Tuggeranong Bushrangers 16: Tries – J Tauti, J Mitchell, B Hensen Goals – J Mitchell 2

The Queanbeyan Kangaroo’s started their 2017 season nicely with a hard fought 32-16 home win over the Tuggeranong Bushrangers.

The Kangaroos opened the scoring inside three minutes before the Bushrangers hit back when centre Cody Hodge crashed over in the corner.

Tuggeranong found the lead twenty five minutes into the first half before the Kangaroos levelled things up three minutes later. At 10-10 with four minutes remaining in the half, Tuggeranong found the lead through a strong try from Joshua Mitchell giving them a 16-10 lead at half time.

It was all Queanbeyan in the second half scoring an unanswered 22 points, as five-eighth Brent Crisp bagged a double.  

Queanbeyan will look to continue their winning form when they take on the Queanbeyan Blues at Seiffert Oval next week. 

Acknowledgement of Country

Canberra Raiders respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.