You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Queanbeyan Withstand Late Fight To Seal Victory

The Queanbeyan Blues have bounced back from their round one disappointment defeating the Bushrangers 32-20 at Seiffert Oval on Saturday afternoon.

Captain-coach Terry Campese wound back the clock in his side’s 12-point victory putting on a spectacular performance which included two try assists and match clinching try in the 78th minute.

After some early domination in the opening minutes of the match, the Queanbeyan Blues were able to open the scoring with a try in the 8th minute to winger Mathew Parsons. The crafty winger darted out of dummy half and dived towards the corner post, somehow staying in the field of play.

But Tuggeranong answered straight back with a try of their own out of dummy half to their winger Seketoa Wesley-Tameifuna. Wesley-Tameifuna busted his way through a few to get to line showing just how dangerous he is on the Bushrangers’ right edge.

The Bushrangers failed to convert, keeping the score at 4-all after 13 minutes.

As errors seemed to creep its way into the game, both sides struggled to gain any momentum but Tuggeranong finally capitalised on a knock on from the Blues with forward Zac Saddler breaking through the line and scoring under the black dot in the 25th minute.

Five minutes later, Queanbeyan levelled the scores at 10-all with edge back-rower Samiuela Taholo borrowing his way over for his sides second try of the half.

But on the stroke of halftime, Blues five-eighth Terry Campese came up with a piece of brilliance, putting in a crossfield chip-kick that was caught on the full by George Morseu who ran 20-metres to score under the posts. 

Campese had no problem converting his amazing try assist, taking the Queanbeyan Blues into halftime up 16-10.

The Bushrangers were dealt an early obstacle to start the second half with try scorer Zac Saddler being sent to the bin for a high shot on Blues front rower Romann Leota. 

It didn’t take long for Queanbeyan to strike against the 12-man side with Campese linking up again with winger George Morseu for the opening try of the half through an incredible long cut out ball in the 51st minute.

It was followed up quickly with the Blues second try of the half with Atunaisa Tupou forcing his way over for the game’s fourth try out of dummy half. Campese slotted the conversion from slightly to the right of the goal posts making it a 16-point lead for Queanbeyan with over 20 minutes to go.

Following a scrappy play which saw both sides lose possession at some point, Bushrangers hooker Liam Oakley was able to pick up a loose ball and run 15 metres to score Tuggeranong first try of the half. Oakley converted his own try to make it 26-16 in the 67th minute of the match.

A controversial no call from the referee for a knock on saw Tuggeranong go deep into the Blues half to set up their fourth try of the game. A quick spread from left to right left Karlos Filiga unmarked in the corner to score. 

Saddler failed to convert from the sideline, keeping the Bushrangers’ deficit at six-points.

But Queanbeyan put the nail in the coffin after Mathew Parsons contested Terry Campese’s bomb and gave it back to him on the inside to score the match winning try in the 78th minute. Campese converted it to make it a 32-20 win for the Blues.

Queanbeyan will be trying to make it back to back wins next weekend when they take on the Gungahlin Bulls whereas the Bushrangers will be hoping to get back in the winner column when they face Woden Valley on Saturday afternoon.

Acknowledgement of Country

Canberra Raiders respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.