You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
NSW Cup & Jersey Flegg Round 11 Wrap

The Canberra Raiders have enjoyed a weekend of victories with both the NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg sides recording strong round 11 wins.


The Raiders have jumped into the top eight with a dominant 41-10 victory over the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Ironmark High Performance Centre in Sydney on Saturday afternoon.

Centre Mitchell Spencer scored two tries in the win but it was Canberra’s destructive forward pack that created opportunities, with five of them running for over 130 metres.

It didn’t take long for the Raiders to hit the scoreboard with Ata Mariota breaking through the Rabbitohs’ defensive line and linking up with Trey Mooney for the first try in the opening set of the match.

Canberra were able to run in two more tries through Rayden Burns and Mitchell Spencer before Souths registered their first four-pointer in the 21st minute. 

Both sides exchanged tries to end the half, with the Raiders taking a 12-point lead into the break.

The opening ten minutes of the second half was strongly contested with plenty of errors creeping into the game. But the Raiders were able to steady themselves and put Corey Harawira-Naera over for Canberra’s fifth try.

The Raiders were able to seal the deal with tries to James Schiller in the 69th minute and Mitchell Spencer in the 75th and a field goal from Sam Williams, pushing their lead out to 41-10.

The Canberra Raiders will be looking to make it three on the trot when they host the Parramatta Eels at GIO Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Jersey Flegg

The Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg team has held on to secure a four-point victory over the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Ironmark High Performance Centre in Sydney on Saturday.

After holding a 24-6 lead at the 60th minute mark, the Raiders had no answers for the Rabbitohs attack who ran in three quick tries to tighten the score-line. However, time became a factor and Canberra were able to hang on to win the round 11 clash.

An early penalty against the Rabbitohs invited the Raiders down into their end and Canberra capitalised with Corey Lewis breaking the line and scoring in the fifth minute. Sione Moala had no issues with the conversion giving the Raiders a 6-0 lead.

Only minutes later, Raiders second rower Noah Saddler crashed over to extend Canberra’s early lead to 12-0 after the conversion.

Both sides scored a try each to end the first half and the Raiders found themselves still on top with a 18-6 lead.

The second half started as a tough defensive game with neither side able to get across the line. But in the 59th minute forward Carsil Vaikai scored a crucial try which put the Raiders ahead by three converted tries.

South Sydney answered back five minutes later with Dion Teaupa scoring a much needed try for the Rabbitohs. The conversion attempt from Teaupa missed however, keeping the Raiders ahead by 14-points.

Rabbitohs winger Carson Kaho scored a quick try double with tries in the 66th and 69th minute but Teaupa failed to convert the final try leaving the score at 24-20.

The Raiders face the 11th placed Parramatta side this weekend at GIO Stadium with a 12.05pm kickoff this Sunday.

Acknowledgement of Country

Canberra Raiders respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.