You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Raiders hold on to defeat Roosters in NSW Cup

The Raiders NSW Cup team claimed a nail-biting 36-28 victory against the Sydney Roosters on Saturday at GIO Stadium Canberra.

It was a back and forth contest between both teams, determined to secure competition points as the ladder continues to take shape.

The Raiders were off and running at the sixth minute when centre James Schiller broke through the defence and planted the ball over the line to claim first points on the board.

Shortly after, Raiders prop Peter Taateo followed up with his efforts to score, maintaining a score of 12-0.

The Roosters were eager to rally and make a break on the defensive line, but were unable to complete this task. 

Not long after, Schiller scored through an intercept providing the Raiders with a 16-0 lead. 

A strong pushback, as the Roosters attempted to plant the ball over the line with 15 minutes to go in the first half, unable to do so with Raiders solid defence.

With 12 minutes to go, Schiller strode through with ease, claiming a first half hat-trick. His efforts gave the team with a 20-0 lead, with 10 minutes left in the half. 

As the second half inched closer, Raiders winger Michael Asomua was successful in reaching the try-line, claiming a 24-0 lead.

With minutes to go before the break, a dropped ball led to Roosters winger Tyreece Tait speeding up the field to claim the Roosters first points of the game.

With a half-time 24-6 lead, the Raiders went into the sheds wanting to continue this momentum in the second half.

As the second half began, the Roosters were rallying through each set of play. With a back and forth contest, Roosters five-eighth Jake Elliott managed to scramble the ball and reach the try-line.

With tensions rising, Roosters fullback Ethan King scrambled through on the wing and found the try-line.

With 20 minutes to go, it was an eight point lead of 24-16 to the home side.  

Roosters second-rower Phoenix Steinwede then crossed, followed by a second try to Elliott, to take a 28-24 lead.  

The Raiders were determined to secure the lead back, as fullback Chevy Stewart crossed under the posts following a strong run from Noah Martin.

A successful conversion from Adam Cook ensured the Raiders reclaimed the lead, 30-28.

With two minutes to go, Jordan Martin crashed through and grounded the ball in his return from an ACL injury, to extend the home side's lead and claim victory 36-28. 

Acknowledgement of Country

Canberra Raiders respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.