Luke Page Wins Queensland Cup Player of the Year
Luke Page was recognised as the Intrust Super Cup’s best and fairest player after receiving the Courier-Mail Medal at the QRL’s Gala Awards dinner.
The emerging representative forward tallied 29 points, collecting the maximum three points in the final round to edge out Norths Devils playmaker Todd Murphy (26).
PNG skipper Israel Eliab (24), Ipswich captain Keiron Lander (21), Mackay hooker Anthony Mitchell (19) and Northern Pride’s Manly bound back-rower Blake Leary (19) were the other leading contenders.
Page commenced the Intrust Super Cup season with the Burleigh Bears, but went on to don the black and white of Souths Logan after signing mid-season with the Magpies’ NRL affiliate Canberra.
The award caps a breakthrough season for Page, who represented the Queensland Residents at Suncorp Stadium in July.
The Courier-Mail Medal is judged by the referees who allocate votes on a 3-2-1 basis after each Intrust Super Cup match.
Recent recipients of the prestigious award include Daly Cherry-Evans (2010, Sunshine Coast), Javarn White (2011, Norths), Luke Capewell (2012, Redcliffe) and Cody Walker (2013, Easts).
* The XXXX People’s Choice Award was won by Papua New Guinea Hunters enforcer Willie Minoga.
Minoga was a clear-cut favourite amongst fans, receiving nearly 40 percent of the total votes. Peter Gubb (Wynnum Manly Seagulls) and Davin Crampton (Northern Pride) polled strongly as well.
Minoga’s teammate Garry Lo was the Rookie of the Year for his sizzling efforts on the wing.
Wynnum Manly’s Jon Buchanan was the Coach of the Year, while the Pride’s Blake Leary received the Representative Player of the Year.
Full list of award winners below:
2014 Honour Board
- Courier Mail Medal: Luke Page (Souths Logan Magpies)
- XXXX People’s Choice Award: Willie Minoga (PNG Hunters)
- Carbine Club Rookie of the Year: Garry Lo (PNG Hunters)
- XXXX Representative Player of the Year: Blake Leary (Northern Pride)
- Men of League Coach of the Year: Jon Buchanan (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)
- Spotless Club Championship: Wynnum Manly Seagulls
- Minor Premiership Shield: Northern Pride
- FOGS Player of the Year: Luke Pollock (Ipswich Jets)
- FOGS Colts Player of the Year: Josh Bowen-Bowyer (Wynnum Many Seagulls) & Ben Jackson (Souths Logan Magpies)
- Intrust Super Cup Leading Points Scorer (Struddys): Khan Ahwang (Burleigh Bears)
- Intrust Super Cup Leading Try Scorer (Struddys): Garry Lo (PNG Hunters)
- Cyril Connell Cup Player of the Year (Canterbury): Sato Ketia-Opo (Souths Logan Magpies)
- Mal Meninga Cup Player of the Year (Canterbury): Adrian Henley (Norths Devils) & Brandon Smith (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)
- Women’s Representative Player of the Year: Renae Kunst