Star trio Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Anthony Milford have been rewarded for their outstanding seasons for the Raiders with selection in the Prime Minister’s XIII to play the PNG Kumuls at Kokopo on Sunday October 12.
Due to injuries, Papalii has been selected in the unfamiliar role of prop whilst Milford has been chosen at five-eighth, where he finished off the season for the Green Machine.
Wighton has been chosen as 18th man.
The team was chosen by coach Laurie Daley in consultation with the Australian selectors and National Coach Tim Sheens.
Sheens said the team was a combination of youth and experience.
He said the withdrawal of a number of senior players through injury had opened the way for some rising stars to be given an opportunity alongside established stars.
“The PM’s XIII has some of the game’s most experienced players including Greg Bird, Robbie Farah and Ryan Hoffman,” Mr Sheens said.
“But this match also provides a great opportunity for young players like Matt Moylan, Josh Mansour, Sione Mata’utai, Anthony Milford and Dylan Napa to gain experience alongside regular international players.
“That experience will prove invaluable in the future.”
The Australian squad for the Four Nations tournament, which begins in Brisbane on October 26 will be announced following this game.
The Prime Minister’s XIII team is:
1. Matt Moylan - Penrith Panthers
2. Josh Mansour - Penrith Panthers
3. Will Chambers - Melbourne Storm
4. Sione Mata'utia - Newcastle Knights
5. Daniel Tupou - Sydney Roosters
6. Anthony Milford - Canberra Raiders
7. Ben Hunt - Brisbane Broncos
8. Aaron Woods - Wests Tigers
9. Robbie Farah - Wests Tigers
10. Josh Papalii - Canberra Raiders
11. Ryan Hoffman - Melbourne Storm
12. Beau Scott - Newcastle Knights
13. Greg Bird (C) - Gold Coast Titans
14. Michael Morgan - North Queensland Cowboys
15. Brenton Lawrence - Manly Sea Eagles
16. Josh McGuire - Brisbane Broncos
17. Dylan Napa - Sydney Roosters
18. Jack Wighton - Canberra Raiders