You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
during the NYC match between the Raiders and the Cowboys at GIO Stadium on June 20, 2015 in Canberra, Australia. Digital Image by Mark Nolan.

Mounties have returned strongly after the bye running over the Newtown Jets 30-24 at GIO Stadium to consolidate their spot in the top four of the VB NSW Cup.

Doubles to Jeremy Hawkins and Mitch Barnett and a Man of the Match performance by Josh McCrone were the highlights of the match however a disappointing end to the match which saw Mounties concede four tries shows that the side still has plenty of work to do.

Mounties got the scoring underway in the 9th minute when Hawkins found his way across the line out wide. The conversion from Mitch Cornish was unsuccessful leaving the score at 4-0.

It was back-to-back tries for Mounties as they scored their five minutes later when Hawkins made a strong line break before passing inside for McCrone to score under the posts. Cornish converted for a 10-0 lead.

Mounties made it three unanswered tries when Mitch Barnett crossed the 22nd minute despite three Newtown defenders trying to prevent his run at the line. Cornish converted to make it a 16 point lead.

Newtown were able to get on the scoreboard in the 35th minute when a well weighted grubber from Todd Murphy found its way to Corin Smith who put the ball down in the corner. The conversion was unsuccessful from Nathan Gardner for a score line of 16-4 and that was how the score remained going into half-time.

Mounties scored first in the second half in the 43rd minute after a chip kick from McCrone was sensationally regathered by fullback John Kennedy to score under the posts. The extra two were added by Cornish for a 22-4 lead.

Mounties extended their lead again in the 52nd minute when a quick tap from Glen Buttriss was spread out wide and Hawkins crossed for his second of the game. The conversion was unsuccessful this time from Cornish leaving the score at 26-4.

It was soon three unanswered tries to start the second half when a quick interchange of passes between Barnett, Mitch Cronin and Gus Aiga unravelled the Jet’ defence and Barnett crossed for his second try of the game. Cornish missed the conversion entailing that the score remained at a 26 point lead.

Disappointingly, Newtown then crossed for four unanswered tries to finish the match, however Mounties’ defence held firm to secure the two competition points.

Mounties 30 (Hawkins 2, Barnett 2, McCrone, Kennedy Tries; Cornish 3/6 Goals) defeated Newtown Jets 24 (Smith 2, Murphy, Sauiluma, Wells Tries; Gardner 0/2, Murphy 2/3 Goals)