You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Bulls get win in tough battle against Sharks

It was a hot afternoon for football at the Belconnen Sharks new home ground in Bruce, which saw the Gungahlin Bulls secure their second win for the season. ​

The Belconnen Sharks were first to opening the scoring in the fifth minute of play, when Ewen McCarroll broke the line and crashed over, giving the Sharks an early 4-0 lead.

The Gungahlin Bulls bounced back quickly using the opportunity of a knock-on from the Sharks on their opposing line to shift the ball left. Fullback, Tristan Eldrige ran straight through the line to get the Bulls first try.

The scores were locked at four-all in the first 10 minutes. The Bulls looked to score in the 15th minute, but the defence of the Sharks was too good, sending the Bulls fullback into touch.

Defence was key for the Sharks in the first half, as they defended multiple sets on the line from the Bulls. The Sharks were hit with repeated attacking sets on the line from the Bulls, but they held on and in their next chance with the ball, charged down field to score. It was junior Raider, Manase Kaho who broke through the defence, running from the 40 metre line to score under the posts.

Sharks led 10-6 with 12 minutes to go in the first half. In the 30th minute, Sharks forward Ranapiri Baker was sent to the sinbin for a high tackle, leaving the Sharks with just 12 men.

The Bulls took their chance with an extra player and Lucas Thomson scored on their right edge to equal the score 10-all.

Once again, the Bulls caught the Sharks short in defence in an early chip-kick where forward Jack Williams caught the ball on the run just metres from the line and dived over to secure a 16-10 lead after the conversion.

In the second half, the Sharks were first to put points on the scoreboard. Jay Slavin was able to dive between defenders under the posts and get the Sharks in an equal 16-all battle with the Bulls.

In the 54th minute, Gungahlin Bulls centre Keegan Kenny saw space on the left edge, and he took his chance to get the Bulls in front 22-16.

After a drinks break, and a forced drop out in favour of the Bulls, Mathew Richards darted out of hooker, and scored next, extending the Bulls lead to 28-16.

With 10 minutes to go, the Sharks found space out-wide, and winger PK Amponn-Nyamekye stepped off his right foot to get through the defenders and close the gap 22-28.

Not letting the Sharks any closer, fullback Tristan Elridge broke through the middle charging down field, he found support in half back Jordan Williams to score.

With the conversion successful the Bulls had a 34-22 with just minutes to go. One more try wasn’t enough for the Bulls and they responded off the kick-off finding winger Todd Sherd who scored to seal the match with a conversion on the siren 40-22.