You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Blues hold on in fierce Queanbeyan derby

Saturday’s clash at Seiffert Oval between the Queanbeyan Blues and Queanbeyan Kangaroos was set to be a tough battle, and it truly delivered.

Just holding onto the win, the Queanbeyan Blues were able to keep their undefeated streak getting up in an extremely close 24-22 win against the Roos.

Queanbeyan Blues forward Richard Holani opened the scoring just 7 minutes into the match, when charged full speed at the line, crashing over next to the posts, giving the Blues a 6-0 lead.

The Blues hit the score board again in the 20th minute, when the ball shifted to the left edge finding space for centre Bryce Lee to extend the lead.

In an attempt to stop the try Roos fullback, Kaine Pagura stuck his arm out, taking Lee high and as a result was sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes.

With one man down the Roos were able to build pressure on the Blues. It was a perfect grubber in goal by hooker Lachlan Ingram that had lock Jesse Dent ground the ball in a spectacular try. Putting the Roos in the game 6-10.

Roos fullback Kaine Pagura re-entered the field with just over 10 minutes to go in the first half.

Blues were next to score on the half time siren, when fullback Mathew Parsons used his speed to go from left to right, finding his winger Tyrel Kimori-Edmond who paired to score a 80 metre try.

The Blues led 14-6 at the end of the first half.

Roos were first to score in the second half after Blue’s failed to communicate in the goal area, losing the ball. It was Roos lock Jesse Dent who dove on it, getting his second try of the afternoon. Closing the gap 10-14.

In the 50th minute of play Roos fullback Kaine Pagura fooled the Blues defence opening up a gap and he was able to use his speed and score in the right corner, giving the Roos their first lead of the match 16-14.

Late call up for the Blues Bryce Lee scored his second from the afternoon after contesting a high bomb in goal, he got the ball down and put the Blues back in front.

Minutes later the Blues hit back again, this time it was Richard Holani who scored after giving the Blues plenty of pressure on the line. The Blues led 24-16 with 17 minutes to go.

With 10 minutes to go the Roos kept themselves in the game, a smart play from the hooker Lachlan Ingram had Alifelti Ngahe score. The Blues were just holding the lead 24-22 making it anyone’s game.

An intercept in the 75th minute from centre Jake Butler-Felming saved the Blues defence after the Roos were awarded three repeat sets on the line.

A great try saving tackle from the Blues fullback Mathew Parsons with just minutes to go forced an error by the Roos securing their win.

The Blues remain undefeated in the Blumers Canberra Region Cup First Grade after round five.

Acknowledgement of Country

Canberra Raiders respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.