You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Warriors take out Belconnen derby

The West Belconnen Warriors have defeated the Belconnen United Sharks in a physical 24-18 win at Raiders Belconnen on Sunday afternoon.

It was set to be a fierce battle between the two Belconnen sides, but it was the Warriors who took away the win.

The Sharks were off to a strong start, looking dangerous down their right edge of the field in what looked like they were going to score.

It was the Warriors who were able to open the scoring for the afternoon after pin-point cross field kick by five-eighth Lachlan Keeley which landed straight in the hands of winger Mapu Uasi to give the home team a 4-0 lead.

After a few missed chances on the line, the Sharks were able to finally hit back when forward Nukurua Ngere crashed through defenders right next to the posts to give the Sharks a 6-4 lead. 

In what seemed like of tug-of-war of possession between the two sides, the afternoon became a game of needing to hold onto the ball.

The Warriors were unable to get the ball out from their line with an unforced error seeing them hand the Sharks the ball just 20 metres out from the line.

Sharks captain Matthew Woolnough capitalised on the error by finding the line in the next set with just seven minutes remaining in the first half. Converting his own try, Woolnough extended the lead 12-4.

With just 20 seconds remaining in the first half, the Warriors got their chance. This time it was second rower Arthur Brown who went over making it a four-point game.

Just eight minutes into the second half a penalty against the Sharks was given a penalty for a high tackle giving Westies the perfect chance to attack.

Warriors half Bayley Graham threw a long pass out to his left winger Andrew McDonald who found space in the scorner to even the score 12-all.

The Sharks were handed another opportunity to gain points but were unsuccessful once again keep the scores tied up with just 17 minutes remaining.

With 15 minutes to go a break away run from the Warriors had them looking to score, a great cover tackle from Sharks player Harrison Leadbitter stopped the try, but an attempt to strip the ball after the tackle was complete found him sent for 10 minutes in the bin.

In the next play Warriors halfback Bayley Graham dived over to give the home team a lead, converting his own try the Warriors led 18-12.

The Warriors looked too strong with an extra man, and it wasn’t long before they secured another six points, with Bayley Graham scoring and converting once again. Extending their lead to 24-12.

With just one-minute remaining Sharks half Matthew Woolnough took matters in his own hands with a grubber to himself to score straight under the black dot.

The last minute effort wasn’t enough for the Sharks, and the Warriors were too dominant taking out the win.