You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Blues dominate Roos in Queanbeyan derby

The Queanbeyan Blues put on a rugby league clinic to come out victorious over the Queanbeyan Kangaroos with an impressive 44-12 scoreline at Seears Workwear Oval on Saturday in round 12 of the Blumers Lawyers Canberra Raiders Cup.

The king of Queanbeyan, Terry Campese, was at his very best setting up tries and line breaks at will. He was aided by standout performances from forwards Isaiah Latu, Joshua Hitchins and centre Cyprian Ale. Their explosive running consistently put the Roos defence on the back foot.

The Roos, who were riding a three-game winning streak going into this week’s match, will have to regroup and put in a strong performance next week against the Belconnen United Sharks to get their season back on track.

Both teams were wearing specially designed jerseys to celebrate Kangaroos’ indigenous round.

The Roos had the better of the field position early thanks to mistakes and ill-discipline by the Blues. But the Roos couldn’t make the most of the field position and left the Blues half scoreless.

The Blues, on the other hand, scored on their first foray into Roos territory. Terry Campese broke the Roos’ line and put over big centre Cyprian Ale for their first try in the eighth minute.

Campese was at it again minutes later when he threw a dummy and got the ball to powerhouse centre Utuloa Asomua in space. Asomua powered over Roos fullback Kaine Pagura to get the Blues second try 13 minutes into the game. However, Campese’s conversation hit the upright and missed, leaving the scores at 10-0.

Jesse Dent almost got the Roos off the snide 20 minutes into the first half, but the number one ranked Blues defence held Dent up over the line.

It didn’t get any better for the Roos as strike centre Gideon Afemui left the field with an injury in the 23rd minute.

Isaiah Latu then added to the Blues lead with two tries in three minutes. Latu crashed over from close range in the 27th minute, and again in the 30th minute after capitalising off a Cyprian Ale line break.

Blues’ fullback Matt Parsons added to the Queanbeyan Blues points party, plucking a Campese kick out of the air and landing in the Roos in-goal to score. Campese converted to give the Blues a 28-0 lead to close out the first half.

Thomas Casey scored a much-needed try for the Roos to start the second half after Jesse Dent provided him with a sublime offload close to the line.

Terry Campese restored the Blues 28 point lead in the 51st minute after he charged over the Roos’ try line with three defenders hanging off him.

In the 56th minute, the Blues were pinned on their own line before Matt Parsons sliced through the Roos’ defence and went 60 meters before being tackled. A few plays later the Blues scored yet another try after Asomua found Joseph Delle out wide with a great offload.

Canberra Raiders Cup leading try scorer Matthew Parsons scored his 16th try of the season when he scored his second try of the match. Parsons stepped off his right foot to cut through the Roos’ defence close to the line.

Jayden Baxter got one back for the Roos, crashing over in the 63rd minute.

After Baxter’s try, a scuffle broke out, and Roos forward Michael Cullen was sent from the field after throwing punches. Blues forward Isaiah Latu received ten in the bin for his involvement.

Queanbeyan Blues 44 (Tries: C Ale, U Asomua, I Latu 2, M Parsons 2, T Campese, J Delle; Goals: Campese 6) d Queanbeyan Kangaroos 12 (Tries: J Baxter, T Casey; Goals: L Ingram 2)