You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Canberra Raiders Cup: Round Two Wrap

The 2024 Blumers Lawyers Canberra Raiders Cup has kicked off with a bang, as the opening matches of the competition saw high scoring match ups all around the grounds. 

Queanbeyan Blues 32 draw Queanbeyan Kangaroos 32

The Queanbeyan derby exceeded every expectation, with both sides leaving nothing on the field against their cross-town rivals.

An inspired comeback from the Blues forced an exciting finish as the visitors scored in the final minute, followed by a clutch sideline conversion from Roos captain-coach Sam Williams to lock up the final scores. 

The opening 40 minutes was a back-and-forth affair, with not much to separate the two sides as they went into the sheds 18-10 the way of the Roos. 

Upon returning to the field, the Roos continued to play with the momentum they started to build in the back end of the first half, scoring two tries by the 65th minute to gain a healthy 26-10 lead. 

With less than 15 minutes left on the clock, the Blues were seemingly going to start their 2024 campaign with a disappointing loss. 

That was until they kicked into another gear and piled on four consecutive tries, surging ahead to a 32-26 lead and proving they're not the same side from last year that would roll over when behind.

In the dying seconds of the game, the reigning premiers found themselves in attacking zone which saw second rower Jesse Dent score in the corner, leaving it up to Williams to tie the game.

Last year's McIntyre Medalist showed his experience as an ex-Raider, slotting it from the sideline after the final buzzer to secure his side a competition point. 

With the scores locked up at full time, both sides earn one competition point a piece after 80 minutes of excitement.

Woden Valley Rams 30 defeat Tuggeranong Bushrangers 6

The Woden Valley Rams travelled down the road to Tuggeranong's Greenway Oval and put on a clinic in the battle of the south. 

The visitors were on song in both attack and defence in the first half, keeping last year's runners up to nil, while scoring three unanswered tries including fullback Daine Spencer crossing for a double. 

After regathering themselves in the sheds, the Bushrangers were first to strike in the second half through lock Brad Buckley muscling his way over the line, providing his side with some hope. 

But the Rams were able to pick up from where they left off in the first half, locking up defensively and showing off their attacking flare to score two more tries before full time and securing a dominant 30-6 win to start their season. 

Belconnen United Sharks 38 defeat Gungahlin Bulls 10

A heated battle at Jamison Enclosed Oval saw the Sharks turn on the jets in the second half to put the dagger into a match that was mostly in the balance. 

Belconnen came out firing, with their big and mobile pack gaining momentum early and marching up the field to get the Sharks in the attacking zone frequently. 

The strike power that their squad possesses, along with the experienced halves pairing of Matt Woolnough and captain-coach Zac Patch saw the Sharks capitalise on their scoring opportunities to gain a three try 14-0 lead. 

It wasn't until the dying minutes of the first half when the home side crossed for their first try through winger Ethan Miller making a break down the sideline before handing off to fullback Travis Vawdon in support to score. 

With the scores reading 14-6 at halftime, the game was very much in the balance. 

A penalty goal for the Sharks, followed by both sides crossing for a try in the opening 10 minutes of the second period saw the scores at 22-10 Sharks way - still in reach with plenty on the clock for the Bulls. 

The game got into the grind until the Sharks showed why they were a top four side last year, piling on three unanswered tries, including a double for new fullback recruit Tristan Eldridge.

Yass Magpies 32 defeat Goulburn City Bulldogs 28 

The clash between both regional NSW sides saw a try scoring frenzy with last year's wooden spooner's getting the edge over the hosting Bulldogs. 

The game was determined by momentum which swung back-and-forth throughout the full 80 minutes. 

The home side opened up the scoring within the first three minutes which sparked the Magpies to switch on. 

Yass started to get a roll on in attack and were able to cross for three quick tries, including two from halfback Charlie Woolford, showing his worth as a new recruit. 

Momentum swung back in the way of the Bulldogs, who scored three unanswered tries of their own within the final 10 minutes of the first half, to go into the sheds leading 24-18. 

In contrast to the first 40 minutes, the second half was more of a defensive battle, with both sides trading blows and not giving and inch until Yass barged over in the 67th minute to tie up the scores. 

Determined to start their season on the front foot following a wooden spoon year, Yass crossed for another try, then were awarded a penalty goal soon after to stretch their lead to 32-24 with a couple minutes left. 

The Bulldogs scored another four-pointer in the final minute of play, but it was too little too late. 

Acknowledgement of Country

Canberra Raiders respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.