You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Defensive display sees Raiders defeat Titans

An impressive defensive display saw the Raiders claim a 20-4 win over the Titans at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Saturday night.

Both teams were off to a slow start at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Saturday when they struggled to hold onto the ball in their opening sets.

It was a short ball from George Williams that put Elliot Whitehead straight through the line, with Croker backing up, sending Jordan Rapana over for the opening try of the game. Raiders led 6-0 in the sixth minute.

Both teams showed moments of momentum in attack, keeping each side working extremely hard on their line in the first half, but some missed opportunities for each side held them out.

The Titans gained possession of the ball after a Raiders pass bounced over the sideline. The Titans charged downfield almost getting over for a try, but an effort from Hudson Young forced a knock-on, just centimetres from the line.

The Titans started to look dangerous with a streak of possession and a forced drop out, but an unforced error sent the green machine back down to their attacking line.

The Raiders were able to cease the momentum of the Titans in the next set where they held them to their 20metre line.

An unlucky kick by Jack Wighton gave the Titans an opportunity from 40metres out, but Wighton made up for it when he saved a try by diving and reaching for Anthony Don’s arm forcing a knock on.

A penalty was awarded to the Raiders in the 26th minute for a hand in the ruck. The Raiders took the opportunity to breathe and gain another two points, making the score 8-0.

With four minutes to go in the first half Titans winger, Anthony Don had another opportunity over the line but this time Charnze Nicol-Klokstad forced Don to lose the ball in a try-saving effort.

Corey Thompson was the first to score for the Titans, running down the left edge with just one minute to go in the first half, putting them on the scoreboard, Raiders 8-4.

The Raiders defence held the Titans out in the first half, defusing three potential tries and keeping the score to 8-4 in the first half.

It was a battle of the forwards in the first half, with Josh Papalii and Ryan Sutton running just short of 100metres.

Papalii was rewarded for his efforts in the 51st minute when his strength broke through two Titans defenders and he got the ball down. A well-earned try for the Raiders gave them a 10 point lead of 14-4.

An unsuccessful captain’s challenge from the Titans handed the Raiders with the ball just 30 metres out, but they were unable to cross the line again.

A captain’s challenge was used by the Raiders with 20minutes to go after a penalty was given against Jordan Rapana for a player obstruction, but it was unsuccessful.

Ryan Sutton sealed the game for the Raiders in the last two minutes when the fresh legs of Tom Starling forced a charge of momentum for the forward.

In a game of almost even possession, the Raiders held onto their lead finishing 20-4. In a hard-fought contest the Raiders were able to re-join the winner’s circle in round four.

Canberra Raiders 20 (Tries: Jordan Rapana, Josh Papalii, Ryan Sutton Goals: Jarrod Croker 3, Penalty Goal: Jarrod Croker 1) d Gold Coast Titans 4 (Try: Corey Thompson)

Acknowledgement of Country

Canberra Raiders respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.