You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Gungahlin record their first win of the season in style

Match Report by Michael Schirripa

The Gungahlin Bulls have recorded their first win of the Blumers Lawyers CRRL Cup with an emphatic 32-10 win over the Queanbeyan Blues at Gungahlin Enclosed Oval.

On a wet and cold day, the Bulls did not put a foot wrong as they condemned the hapless Blues to their second loss of the season.

An error from Gungahlin on their own goal line gave the Blues a perfect opportunity to post the first points of the game, but centre Adam Barlow made an error from the subsequent play.

Queanbeyan dominated field territory early on but were unable to crack the stubborn Bulls defence inside the first 10 minutes.

Gungahlin were able to build some pressure on the Blues defensive line which lead to the first try of the game.

Linkin Bradley was able to stroll over in the right corner after drawing in two defenders with a teammate on his outside. Tre Williams was able to convert from the sideline to give his side a 6-0 lead.

Blues half Terry Campese put up a spiralling bomb which the Bulls could not contain, which gifted them a perfect opportunity for an immediate strike-back, but an error from the scrum ended their pursuit.

Gungahlin almost had their second try of the afternoon after backrower Jack Williams made a big run down the sideline, but Blues fullback Matthew Parsons produced a try-saving tackle which forced the ball loose.

The Bulls would not be denied four minutes before the end of the first quarter, as Connor Williams was the recipient of a length of the field try which started from a break from Jackson Owen and went off the boot a number of times before eventually being grounded.

After a dominant quarter, the Bulls were given back-to-back penalties which gave them the opportunity to extend their 10-0 lead, but the siren was sounded for the quarter break.

Gungahlin were able to pick up from where they left off as they piled more misery on the Blues with the third try of the afternoon, a nice backline movement led to centre Rourke O’Sullivan scoring in the corner. The conversion was unsuccessful, and the score remained 14-0.

The Blues finally got an opportunity to register their first points of the afternoon and built even more pressure forcing a repeat set.

The Bulls went the length of the field to record their fourth try of the afternoon, Tristian Eldridge pounced a grubber on his own try line as he raced away to score under the post., The conversion was successful as the Blues found themselves 20-0 down.

A penalty to the Blues on the halftime siren gave them the opportunity to post some points on the board but the penalty goal attempt from Josh Mitchell was waived away.

Gungahlin went into the sheds for the halftime break with a comfortable 20-0 lead with it all to do for the Blues in the second half.

Queanbeyan’s afternoon went from bad to worse with the Bulls registering their fifth try of the afternoon on the back of some fancy footwork near the line from Connor Williams. The kick was successful as Gungahlin had an unassailable 26-0 lead.

The Blues finally had their first points of the game after an error from Gungahlin off the kick-off, Julius Tupou barged his way over the line from close range. The subsequent conversion was unsuccessful, and the score remained 26-4.

Gungahlin continued their dominant display with a try to Jack Williams who ran 40 metres down the field after some smart play from dummy play by Tre Williams on the short side. The try was converted which gave the Bulls a 28-point lead.

The Blues thought they had their second try, but the final pass was ruled forward as the sides went into the final 20 minutes with Gungahlin holding a 32-4 lead.

With the game was drawing to a close, both sides made a plethora of unforced errors as fatigue set in.

After a stellar game topped off with a try, Bulls backrower Jack Williams was escorted off the field with a suspected leg injury with 10 minutes remaining.

Queanbeyan were able to score a consolation try after prop Brad Buckley barged over as the final siren sounded. The conversion was successful and the game finished with the Bulls running out as big winners.


Acknowledgement of Country

Canberra Raiders respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.