You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Warriors fight back to snatch a victory in the Belconnen derby

The West Belconnen Warriors have rallied home to snatch a close 22-18 win over their cross-town rivals in the local Belconnen derby. 

The Sharks had a strong opening ten minutes but the Warriors controlled the majority of the game, their goal-line defence shining in the league leader's important win.

This result takes a massive toll on the Sharks finals chances but boosts the Warriors to the top of the premiership ladder.

The Warriors had almost the perfect opening set, going the length of the field and turning the ball over in the Sharks corner.

Although they let it all go to waste, giving away back to back penalties, where the Sharks capatalised through backrower David Williams to open the scoring. Right-winger Reagan Carr converted to give the Sharks an early 6-nil lead.

Belconnen United didn't show any signs of slowing down, going the length of the field again.

This time a short ball to the opposite backrower Jacob Piper gave the Sharks their second try of the afternoon, straight under the black dot. Carr converted once again to extend their lead to 12-nil after only seven minutes.

The Warriors discipline continued to let them down, giving their rivals a piggyback almost every set coming out of their half.

The match entered a real arm wrestle, both sides trading sets and looking to gain field position. 

It wasn't until the Westies forced a Sharks error and got straight back into the game from a great individual try from interchange forward Mitch Shaw. Roberts converted to close the gap to 12-6 with ten minutes remaining in the first half.

Mitch Shaw found himself a double, carrying three Sharks over the line to plant the ball down for the visitors. Roberts converted again to level the scores 12-all at halftime.

The Warriors started the second half strong through a great kick chase off the boot of five-eighth Bayley Graham.

Sharks winger Taka Maraka came up with an unfortunate error coming off his line, where Ryley Thomas simply dove on it to score. Roberts converted to give the visitors their first lead of the game, 18-12 after only five minutes in the second period.

The very next set, the Warriors rolled right down the field and polished it off through a beautiful floating bomb from Roberts which the Sharks couldn't pick up. 

Straight off the scrum, dummy half Harry Brown scooped it up and strolled over as easy as you like to extend the score to 22-12.

The Warriors ill-discipline continued to let themselves down, putting pressure on their goal line defence.

The Sharks finally broke the first-placed Warriors through strong forward Sonny Tupoula, who crashed over under the sticks. Carr converted to close the gap to 22-18 with ten minutes to go.

Robert Roberts put up a towering torpedo bomb off the kick off which took an unfortunate bounce for the Sharks into the hands of the Warriors. 

But a late error in the tackle count let the Sharks off the hook to stay in the game.

Belconnen United continued to hunt the Warriors line right down to the death but couldn't shake the Warriors incredible defence, coming away with a four point victory in the Belconnen derby.

Acknowledgement of Country

Canberra Raiders respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.